Sunday, September 11, 2011

AKB48's first overseas sister group, JKT48


As announced on tokyohive,
AKB48 held a theatrical-style handshake event for “Flying Get” on September 11th, where they announced that they would soon create their first overseas sister group, “JKT48“!

Produced by AKB48 mastermind Akimoto Yasushi, JKT48 will follow the concept of “an idol you can go to meet“. Auditions will be held in Indonesia, with the aim to have JKT48 make their debut at the end of the year.

Those applicants who pass the final exam in mid-October will proceed to lessons and become the first generation of JKT48. According to officials, JKT48 will be “an unique idol group with Indonesian culture,” who will still reflect AKB48’s concept.

Stay tuned to tokyohive for the latest reports on JKT48!
tokyohive

This would be the first 'Project48' group to be formed outside of Japan, and the announcement of the auditions and rumors of it before the official announcement brought various opinions from AKB48 fans.

To me, I am actually rather curious what overseas group would be like but frankly speaking, I don't really approve of the idea of forming sister groups outside of Japan. It just don't have the original feel as AKB48, or rather the whole project in general, started out as J-pop. I feel that the project should just focus on J-pop and the plan of making a sister group in different prefectures of Japan.

I already feel that the idea of making different groups in all the prefectures of Japan rather ambitious and worry that the quality of work would be diluted with so many groups. With so many sister groups forming, I wonder if Aki-P would soon run out of creative juice to produce all the theater performance pieces and singles' songs on a regular basis. =[ Hope that would not happen and if come to a point where a co-producer is needed, I hope the co-producer is up to standard.

I won't be putting my expectations anywhere even near average for JKT48, and also other overseas sister groups to come, but I would still keep myself updated on news regarding them though.

No comments:

Post a Comment